As we are fast approaching our first opportunities for extra-curricular activities, I want to inform you of some differences in our procedures and protocols for this year due to the COVID-19 pandemic. As we prepare for this season, it is imperative that we all work together to follow all of the safety and mitigation procedures so that we can continue to offer extra-curricular activities for our students throughout the remainder of the school year. That is our hope. But we need you to help by supporting us in our efforts to mitigate the COVID-19 virus.
The Kansas High School Activities Association has provided us with recommendations to follow for each of our extra-curricular activities. These strategies were provided with input from the Nation Federation of High School Activities and medical officials as well. We have also had input from our local health officials in regards to safely operating our extra-curricular activities.
All coaches and teams will have their own mitigation strategies that they will be implemented before, during, and after activity practices and events. District staff will also be helping in the cleaning, sterilization, and overall deep cleaning of our facilities on a regular basis including before and after events.
Here are the main mitigation strategies that affect you as a spectator.
- Spectators will be required to wear masks while entering the event; during the event; and while exiting the event.
- Spectators will have their temperature checked prior to entering the event.
- Spectators will be asked to social distance when possible during an event.
- Gatherings on the field/court prior to or after the game are not permitted.
- No re-entry will be permitted.
Again, we thank you for your support in these efforts as we continue to work towards mitigation of the COVID-19 virus while being able to continue with extra-curricular activities. Without these strategies, we feel that we could experience:
1) Limits on the number of spectators allowed into the facilities.
2) Spectators not being allowed to attend the game (only players, coaches, officials, and/or essential employees).
3) Extracurricular activities being canceled altogether if required by state or local authorities.
This would not be good for you, us, our community, and especially our kids. This is why we must all work together so we can continue these opportunities. We appreciate your patience during these difficult and unusual times.
Assistant Principal/Activities Director
Pittsburg Community Middle School
Pittsburg High School